Picture of our first permanent home located at the northeast corner 3rd and Allen streets. This was the first building in Kentucky constructed for the sole purpose of housing a YMCA. This building opened in 1898.
For 50 years after its construction, the building at 3rd and Allen streets served as home for the YMCA, and for many of those years was the center of school and church athletic events, as well, but the need for expansion became too great to be accommodated there and the facility was moved, in 1948, to 1512 Frederica St. Three years after its relocation, an $88,000 gymnasium was added.
|Original first floor for the main branch|
|Original second floor for the main branch|
|Original plans for the main branch|
|An article in the Messenger-Inquirer during construction.|
|Modern Welding Company has long supported the Owensboro YMCA and had substantial responsibility in the erection of our main branch.|
Owensboro Concrete Co. a great friend of the Owensboro YMCA, congratulating us on our building at 900 Kentucky Parkway in the early 70's.